Monday, November 7, 2011

Sophistic Nonsense

~I found this piece upon one of my Blog lists this morning: There is no excuse for GLBT or Cultural Appropriation

The writer said, “You may have guessed by now that I have a very little tolerance for appropriation. Recently it was revealed that an author in the m/m genre, faked a gay male identity which included paying someone to make public appearances with a fake boyfriend, writing a coming out story and writing about an instance of gay bashing. This moves beyond the concept of taking on a pseudonym for the purposes of publication and cannot be seen as anything out than outright appropriation.”

I commented; “That first example is not 'cultural appropriation'. It's a Capitalist Hoax. There is a critical difference. I'd classify things like white owned and run 'Native American' stores as Capitalist Hoaxes as well, though simply more overt.

That said...cultures 'appropriate' from each other all the time. It's what they do, and have done, throughout history, race notwithstanding. If they don't, they stagnate and die. Trying to stop that is self defeating foolishness at best and Intellectually Fascistic at worst.

That would mean that I as a White Male writer would be forbidden to include any non-white female characters in my work. As the substantial majority of my characters are exactly that, you would functionally kill my work merely to prove a political point.

Such puts one in the same category as both the Soviets and the Nazis. And that shit can bite one upon that ass in oh so many ways...don't YOU dare write/paint/sing about White Men! etc [fill in all those who you 'are not']”

It's awaiting moderation. She's fairly tough, so I expect she'll approve it, though I suppose some kind of shitstorm will brew up. Frankly, I don't care.

Meantime, if you call me 'cis-gendered' I'll shove a chair leg up your ass. I'm Fixed Gendered, thank you very much. And I too am a Person of Color. It just happens to be pinkish. Sweep in front of your own doors, kids.

...yes, Nebs is in a 'mood' today...

No comments: