Saturday, May 1, 2010

Gee, Ya Think...

~I was just [quickly] reading through this piece Self-help 'makes you feel worse' which said, “Canadian researchers found those with low self-esteem actually felt worse after repeating positive statements about themselves,” and “They found that, paradoxically, those with low self-esteem were in a better mood when they were allowed to have negative thoughts than when they were asked to focus exclusively on affirmative thoughts.”

Both my Inner Alcoholic and my Inner NLP Practitioner chorused, “No Shit!” The Drunk knows full well that only 'Right Action leads to Right Thought'. The NLPer just says, “lying to yourself is depressing.”

I have long hated 'positive thinking', even before I got into AA or NLP. It not only seemed disingenuous to me, but I also noticed that most 'positive thinkers' would utterly freak out when presented with any kind of 'negativity', which of course alerted my Inner Predator, who then would 'prove' how weak these 'positive thinkers' usually were. *evil laughter*

Confronting ones Shadow is essential for any type of true Spiritual growth, though to do so is almost always an unnerving experience. But, at least to me, it is a most rewarding exercise...if one survives it, of course. *more evil laughter*

No comments: