Wednesday, April 28, 2010

RE: The SCUM Manifesto

~I tried to post the SCUM Manifesto in its entirety in my LJ, but it was too big, so I wound up sticking it in my Blogspot. [love all the phallic metaphor lol] Written by Valerie Solanas back in 1968, the thing still upsets folks to this day. Yes, she was clearly a madwoman, but I'd say she was driven mad by Patriarchy.

The text does 'rant and ramble' to a certain extent and she later claimed it was satirical, but a careful reading shows that Solanas did have a pretty good insight into the nature of Patriarchy and Male/Female relationships.

I am rather fond of it as one can see that the opening stand alone sentence does very much presage the basic message of The Temple:

”Life in this society being, at best, an utter bore and no aspect of society being at all relevant to women, there remains to civic-minded, responsible, thrill-seeking females only to overthrow the government, eliminate the money system, institute complete automation and destroy the male sex.”

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

*slips in*

*points*

http://amananta.wordpress.com/2008/03/30/babalonbabylon/

*slips out*